Many years ago I read Ivan Illich’s book, Deschooling Society. It is a remarkable work that points out the general phenomenon of institutional failure, not just the failure of the educational system. Here below is an excellent TED talk about effective education in slums and the Third World. There are lessons there for every context.
Here are some major points that I gleaned from the talk:
- Based on Pull, not push
- Provides Quick payoff
- Is inherently interesting
- Starts with questions, problems, games and projects
- Provides practical skills
- Embeds learning in productive activities
- Utilizes peer to peer interaction and learning –t.h.g.